Amics de la Terra has initiated the new project Initiatives for the Contribution of German Tourists to the Conservation of the Serra de Tramuntana, financed by the German Federal Environmental Foundation (DBU) and in coordination with BUND (Friends of the Earth Germany) and BTE (a German tourism company). The presentation took place in Soller, on 22 November 2016. You can see the programme by clicking here
This pilot project will be developed in the valley of Sóller, epicenter of hiking tourism, and it is s especially focused on German tourists.
The aim of the project is to inform German-speaking tourists and tour operators of hiking activities in order to raise awareness about the need to preserve the Serra de Tramuntana cultural landscape. This will be done by giving the tourists the opportunity to contribute actively to the preservation of this natural space and also encouraging tour operators to develop specific touristic offers that promote conservation values.
To achieve these goals, five different modules have been defined:
- Information and awareness of German tourists and tour operators. Development and spreading of information about the historical, cultural and natural values of the UNESCO World Heritage Serra de Tramuntana. Training of current and future mountain guides. (These actions will be carried out in cooperation with the Consorci Serra de Tramuntana Patrimoni Mundial, the Mountain Guides Association and the Capvespre Initiative)
- Organization of a seminar for Mountain Guides (official hiking guides) and development of a training module that includes information about the natural and cultural values of the Serra de Tramuntana, which justify the label “World Heritage”, and the need to support local agriculture, which is seriously threatened. (These will be done with the collaboration of the Mountain Guides Association of Mallorca).
- Active participation of German tourists in conservation work (volunteering). Tourists will be invited to participate in four volunteer days, where they will help to implement measures that maintained olive groves, which are threatened by the invasion of pine and reed. In these days tourists will also help to repair the stone walls of some estates. (Capvespre cooperative, the Margers of the Consell de Mallorca and different owners of olive groves will cooperate to carry out these activities).
- Building a network among the actors involved. Promote networking among all stakeholders (hotels, guides, Soller Cooperative, Consell de Mallorca, Mountain Guides Association, Amics de la Terra, BTE and BUND) through annual meetings (presentation and closing) and newsletters.
- Support local trade. Promote local products of the Serra de Tramuntana and also the points of sale where to find them in the Valley of Sóller, through a specific website, and also providing this information on hotels. (It will be developed in collaboration with the Agricultural Cooperative of Sóller, the Consell de Mallorca and Amics de la Terra Mallorca).
You can see more information of the project in the summary of the conference that you will find here.